Wednesday 27 February 2008

Drobo is here!

As you will have read in an earlier post one, I have been having problems with one of my Freecom hard drives (which is has been returned for a warranty replacement - I'll report back on this when I see it again!) and this brought into sharp focus my complete absence of any storage strategy.

Having decided to get a second Mac, it was obvious that I would need more external storage and so I decided to get sensible and go for something that would give me a bit of security. After much deliberation (which included extensive consideration of the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+) I eventually plumped for Drobo. I won't bore you with a run down as virtually every podcast and blog has done that to death.

It arrived, earlier than expected, yesterday along with two 500GB drives and I set it up. I've now transferred the first batch of content over to it and everything seems to be working well. The next thing will be to try out streaming from the Drobo to the Media Centre Mac downstairs to see how that works...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the same decision as you -- Drobo instead of Readynas. Drobo and some cheap 500GB drives is a couple of hundred less than a Readynas. I bought the Drobo and love it. I was thinking aboug buying their Droboshare to connect directly to a network. But since Drobo is on a macmini I don't feel the need.

+1 Drobo
-1 Readynas

Whisperin Al said...

One of the deciding factors was media streaming. A Drobo attached to my Mac Mini can both sync and stream to both another Mac and an AppleTV whilst the ReadyNAS can only do it for the former using its built in iTunes server facility. I considered the DroboShare but decided that my set up didn't require it at the moment.