Saturday 15 March 2008

To Wii or not to Wii...

...that is the question! As I think I mentioned in an earlier post my Windows PC isn't well and I think it's likely to pop its clogs pretty soon. Since I've now got the second Mac Mini for my desktop work and have transferred my media etc. across to it, the PC has been relegated to a platform for my daughter to play a couple of cheap games we got for her (I almost never have time for the only game I've got - Medieval Total War). So if the PC goes South the big loser will be my daughter. Since the Mini isn't really a games machine I thought it might be worth "investing" in a console.

Now I know that both the PS3 and XBox 360 have more processing power and in the case of the X-Box more games but I'm looking at this from a cost per use perspective. I think the PS3 graphics are impressive but the game selection isn't up to much as yet (certainly not for family or kids games) and whilst the XBox also has some pretty impressive titles I think the Wii is simply likely to get more use. It would be very nice to actually use one of the HDMI ports on my telly (the Mini media centre uses the DVI input) but I wouldn't get to play any non-child friendly games until after the little one goes to bed and then I'll be competing with my wife's fix of video vallium (The Street and 'enders) - so the chances of actually getting any real gaming time in is pretty slim.

So ... the play's the thing!

No comments: