Saturday 21 March 2009

LogMeIn - Remote Access

With my in-laws living 45 minutes away (even with Mrs Leadfoot driving!) providing tech support for the silver surfers can be tricky over the phone. With my Mother-in-Law getting a Mac I though things might be a little easier - firstly because Macs just work better and, secondly, I'd be able to use the built in remote access capability. Well it has turned out that the first was definitely true, since the number of calls dropped significantly but, unfortunately, I simply haven't been able to get the second to work - at least in part due to the fact we have BT Home Hubs sitting at each end.

So I looked around for an application which might allow me to provide the occasional support remotely and found LogMeIn. It's Mac and PC and the basic version is free. Of course it does depend on the broadband connections at both ends and it can be a little slow refreshing - especially when dealing with a bigger screen on the other end - but it does work pretty well and you can't quibble at the value for money.

Let me know if you've found a better alternative as I'm always interested.

No comments: