Saturday 1 December 2007

Going Green(ish)

My commute consisted of car to the station, the train and then the tube. When I worked out that we were really running a second car just for those trips it became pretty clear it was both an expensive luxury and not really doing much for the environment! So I wondered about the alternatives. Whilst walking to the station is possible it adds to much to an already long journey so that wasn't an option I was happy with. A scooter was another alternative but whilst an improvement still wasn't very environmentally friendly. I looked at electric scooters but they're still an expensive option for such a short trip. What about cycling? Being pretty out of condition I didn't think it was practical and I wasn't keen on getting too hot and bothered before a long train journey and then marinating in it (that's not a good picture is it?)! Then I stumbled on pedelecs - or electrically assisted bikes. With most of them looking a bit naff or ridiculously expensive I was about to drop that idea but then I came across two possible contenders the Urban Mover UM36 UGlider and the PowaCycle Salisbury. Both bikes look like road/mountain bike hybrids and so addressed the image issue but what about price. The UM36 was better looking but also the more pricey (at £750+). The Salisbury was still expensive (at £499) but was well equipped (you can use it for a practical commute straight out of the box). So which to pick?

I made a visit to The Electric Transport Shop in London who showed me both bikes, gave me some very useful advice and allowed me a test ride. On balance I whilst the UM36 was undoubtedly better looking the bikes were roughly the same weight (often an issue with pedelecs) and I was actually getting less for my money. So I ended up settling on the PowaCycle.

I chose the Nimh battery rather than the newer and lighter LPX alternative, partly down to price (the latter is £100 more) and because the former is a tried and tested technology.

The ride to and from the station is now a breeze. With the power assistance on you can ride with minimal effort and if you want to get more exercise you can turn it off (and with a heavy bike it certainly gives you a work out!). Of course the trip is somewhat less pleasant in the wet and cold but I certainly and feeling better for the exercise!

No comments: