Saturday 16 August 2008

The God Delusion

Another of books from my birthday haul was The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I have just finished reading the book and, whilst it is written in a pretty provocative style and hence won't be to everyone's taste, it is certainly very thought provoking.

The book is pretty clearly signposted as having been written from a scientific perspective and Mr Dawkins makes no secret of his own atheism. The book seeks to outline why the existence of a supernatural creator is highly improbable. He certainly manages to highlight many unsavory aspects of the main religions both historically and currently; however, whilst the beliefs of the author and the book's tone may alienate some readers I found it very interesting and it certainly made me re-examine my own views and beliefs.

Some people will probably dismiss this book out of hand but I think that would be a missed opportunity. Whether you approach the book from a theistic, agnostic or atheistic perspective it provides a whole series of challenges which are worth reading for the thought process it provokes and it is written in a pretty accessible style.

I would certainly recommend this book.

No comments: