Saturday 13 September 2008

Do I need a Netbook?

Why on earth to I follow tech podcasts? They only seem to put expensive ideas into my head! I just watched the latest series of reviews from ChannelFlip Tech on Netbooks and I can already see plenty of reasons for me to get one. But do I really need one?

I already have at least three devices I can surf the net on (my two Mac Minis and my iPod Touch) but each has it's own disadvantages. One of the Minis is attached to the main TV so that's out when it's in use. The other is in the study and, apparently, disappearing in there for hours on end is anti-social? The Touch is nice but whilst the on-screen keyboard is handy for short notes you really wouldn't want to write a long blog post on one. Then there's Skype, media streaming, mobile working ... the list goes on. But, given I don't want a 7 inch display (the 800 wide resolution isn't enough for a number of sites) and I would like a decent battery life or it'll be dead every time I pick it up, I'll need to spend a few quid.

Or is the real answer that I haven't had a shiny new gadget lately and I'm getting withdrawal?

No comments: