Thursday 7 June 2012

Ethernet over Power

For some reason I can't manage to pin down my wifi router will not operate at 802.11n - it always finds some reason to drop down to b/g instead.  This makes moving big files around a really slow process.

Not having ethernet cabling in our new house means I had one of four choices: (1) put up with slow wifi (frustrating but cheap), (2) buy a new wifi router (more expense and not guaranteed to fix the problem), (3) install ethernet cabling (not very straightforward and so probably rather expensive), or (4) try ethernet over my mains cabling.

I plumped for option (4) and picked up a set of TP-Link powerline adapters from Amazon.

They arrived today, came with a couple of short but useful ethernet cables and were an absolute breeze to set up.  Obviously they're not as fast as proper ethernet but it's a significant improvement in both speed and reliability.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great product. Thanks for the review and bringing it to my attention.
Ethernet Over Power