Friday 8 June 2012

Jolicloud

Way back in 2008 I picked up an Asus Eee PC as an experiment and had some fun messing about with it; however, it came a poor second as a usable device once the iPad came along.  My other half has been using it ever since as her around the house web browsing device.

Unfortunately the netbook has been getting slower and slower, so I decided to try installing a new lighter OS on it to see how it would fare.

After some research I chose Jolicloud as it seemed to have the least hassle install and the features we needed.  I downloaded the ISO and created a bootable SD card from it and then tried that on the Eee PC.  All the hardware (microphone, sound, webcam etc.) seemed to work straight out of the box and so I installed it on the internal drive but alongside the original Xandros.

So far everything seems to be working pretty well and the machine is fairly zippy.  I'll provide some updates once we have tried it out for a while in real life conditions.

2 comments:

dpsharp said...

Jolicloud is a good choice..Ive just installed on a and old thinkpad x31 and it works fine. Makes cloud computing more meaningful when you only have a 30gb hard drive to work with. A number of the apps i've installed today seem to have been retired so Im not sure how actively the product is being maintained. Good luck..I like to keep old hardware going as long as possible and Jolicloud makes them look new again !

Whisperin Al said...

I'm hoping that, as we only need the basics, that shouldn't be a major issue. It's nice to be able to breathe extra life into an older bit of hardware rather than throw it away and buy new stuff!