Tuesday 23 December 2008

Bah Humbug from the Royal Mail

I popped down to the sorting office this morning to pick up a package that they had tried to deliver yesterday. I am reminded of the old Alas Smith & Jones sketch with them staking out the house until the owner pops out and then rushing over and popping the "While you were out" note through the letterbox - as we were only out for 30 minutes the whole day! I digress. Whilst they were searching for my package a lady came in to collect a Christmas card (an ordinary one, normal size and weight (as far as I could tell) in a nice red envelope) because she had to pay excess postage on it. It only had a first class stamp, which apparently isn't enough to send anything these days. It was only 6p light but there is a £1 handling charge these days. I could see another 5 boxes of Christmas cards alone from where I was standing (red envelopes again), presumably waiting for excess postage to be paid as they would all have fitted through any normal letterbox. Have the Royal Mail lost their minds? Is the Christmas spirit dead and buried there? I thought Christmas was not only one of their busiest times but also when most people get a warm feeling about the postal service. But now, with their absurdly complicated pricing system, almost everyone is confused about how much to pay and simply sticking a 1st class stamp on isn't enough. I can see quite a few people switching to e-cards next year. A bit like turkeys turning the oven on if you ask me...

No comments: