Monday 1 December 2008

Rail Fares

I just stopped off at the station this evening to renew my annual season ticket - which has gone up again (no surprise there). I always get annoyed as the winter is when the service goes up the creek and I have to shell out a mountain of dosh for in estimable privilege of travelling on South Eastern Trains. Anyway, when I got home I thought I'd take a look at how the price has risen over the last couple of years:

2005 £2,800
2006 £2,884 up 3.0%
2007 £3,132 up 8.6%
2008 £3,460 up 10.5%

Can you see a pattern developing here? And, of course, the service has got so much better it entirely justifies the rises ... or at least I wish that was what I could say but, in fact, it hasn't. The service is actually that bad, at least compared to the appalling Connex service but it still isn't good and my journey has actually gotten longer over time rather than shorter. But since the alternatives aren't really feasible I don't actually have any real choice...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serves you right for living in the sticks.

Whisperin Al said...

I wonder if, perhaps, you had missed my point. I wasn't taking issue about the cost of the fare (albeit substantial) but rather the scale of the increases.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I had missed your point. You know how it works - people who live in the sticks get a disproportionally large increase. Until the people in charge have the political courage to set fares equitably then 'out of town' residents will always lose out. It was always thus and will ever be so.