Saturday 12 January 2008

iPod Content

Having had a chance to play with the iPod for a couple of weeks now I'm still really impressed. Of course it would be nice if it had a To Do list function and obviously web apps are limited to WiFi hot spots but in terms of the core functionality it works very well. So what have I been doing for content?

Obviously the interface between iTune and the iPod is the main reason most people (me included) plump for an iPod over over portable media players. I've got the iPod syncing with my Mac Mini media centre which has our music library on it. I'm also a big fan of various podcasts (you can see some of them in the links section on the right of the blog) and I have those syncing too. The podcasts I follow are both audio and video and the latter work really well on the Touch's display (although I've had to swap from the highest quality version of GeekBrief as it wouldn't sync). I can heartily recommend all the shows from Channel Flip which has a nice balance of three shows all with excellent presenters and interesting content.

I've already mentioned streaming shows from eyeTV to the iPod over WiFi; however, whilst great in the house it is somewhat limited when I'm out and about. Fortunately eyeTV allows you to automatically export recordings to iPod format and imports them into iTunes after the recording finishes. It's great to come down in the morning, sync the iPod and get the recorded shows from the previous night to watch on the train. The picture quality is very good too.

For other audio sources I was wondering about audio books but hesitated to take the plunge and buy some until I'd worked out whether it was something I'd be keen on. Fortunately I found Podiobooks.com which offers free audiobooks and audio dramas for download including via an iTunes subscription. They have a pretty broad selection of material too.

2 comments:

Evo Terra said...

And it's not just about iPods and iTunes. Any MP3 player -- even your computer -- can let you enjoy the books we have available on the site.

Thanks for linking to us!

Evo
Podiobooks.com

Whisperin Al said...

A point well made! I only focused on the iPod as it's the PMP I have. As to the link - you are very welcome. I'm always happy to link to sites which I've been impressed with.