Thursday 17 January 2008

Macworld Keynote: Disappointed?

Having switched to Mac I was eagerly anticipating the Macworld Keynote to see what Steve was going to announce. I had put my purchases on hold in case he announced something new and I wanted to avoid having to kick myself for buying too early. Whilst previous keynotes have had me pretty excited I was slightly underwhelmed by this year's.

First off, there weren't any surprises, pretty much everything had been pegged by various rumour sites and pundits - even if the mock up shots of the ultra portable machine had been way off.

Secondly, and probably most significantly, there wasn't too much that really floated my boat. Of course the new MacBook Air is cool (who am I to dispute that?) but it's not a device that would do anything for me.

Of course the iPod Touch software was of interest but having to pay for it? Accounting issues apparently - who are they trying to kid?

Movie rentals is a great idea but who knows when us poor relations in the UK will see it - after all we still only have a pretty paltry collection of TV Shows to buy and no movies at all! And we don't seem to have benefited from the AppleTV price drop (given the lack of content for it here I would have thought that might have been worth doing?)

Time capsule might have been interesting if I had Leopard (sorry still on Tiger) and my Mac Mini had 802.11n. (That reminds me is Apple being a little inconsistent with their line up? The Mac Mini has no 802.11n but does have gigabit ethernet and the AppleTV has 802.11n but no gigabit ethernet - you explain it!)

At least I know that I can go off any buy the next stages of my media infrastructure in the safe knowledge that there's nothing new coming out for at least another couple of months (or until 5 minutes after I've bought something!)

No comments: