Thursday 24 January 2008

The Shadow: Crime, Insured and The Golden Vulture

Nostalgia Ventures have been reprinting various pulp novels recently and I was lucky enough to get a couple of Christmas. My first was The Shadow volume 1 including Crime, Insured and The Golden Vulture. These are paperback reprints of the original novels with some original artwork and a couple of small new accounts regarding the authors and tales included.

As these are reprints of original 1930's works the style may not be to everyone's taste but to me it is so evocative of a period I am very interested in (and also inspiration for my main hobby - see The Wargame Shed) that I found the two tales enthralling. Of course neither story bears too close inspection in a number of areas as there are some clear credibility issues but then The Shadow is entirely larger than life and in the context of the genre any such issues are to be ignored - just immerse yourself in the language and the two-fisted action!

The range also includes reprints of Doc Savage stories too. I'm off to carry on reading volume 2 of The Shadow: The Chinese Disks and Malmordo...

No comments: